1078993 1 image

Income Properties in Guelph…

Whether you’re an investor, first time home buyer or a student looking for rental options, a popular topic in Guelph, Ontario is the concept of rental properties, including ‘Accessory Apartments’, also known as ‘in-law suites’ or ‘separate apartments’.  What are the rules?  Where do you go to learn more?

Firstly, you can get in touch with me, your favourite local Realtor ® by e-mail at Krys@KrystalMoore.com or by phone at 519-400-8394 for more information today.

Additionally, you can find a lot of information on www.guelph.ca and you can also get in touch with the city’s Zoning department by calling (519) 837-5615 or e-mailing zoning@guelph.ca.

To save you some time, however, I can offer the following advice:


Rental Housing options for Students:

1)     Home with an approved accessory apartment.  This is done through the Building code and Zoning By-law.  Accessory apartments are permitted in single and semi-detached (not townhouses).  The maximum set up is 4 bedrooms in the main unit and 2 bedrooms in the basement apartment.  The apartment is limited to 2 bedrooms and a maximum size of 80 square metres.  (ie In this scenario, there are a maximum of 6 bedrooms total in the house, but the two units are separate with individual kitchens, washrooms and access):

(i)                 Dwelling with 4 bedrooms can be rented legally to 4 individuals without city approval (this goes for singles, semis and townhouses  – there aren’t a lot of apartment units with more than 4 bedrooms).

(ii)               Five bedrooms rented to individuals becomes a “Lodging House” under the Zoning By-law.  These are regulated by Zoning and the Ontario Building Code.  The Zoning By-law requires that parking be provided (1 for the house and 1 for every three bedrooms in use) and a 100 metre separation distance from another Certified Lodging House.  The Lodging House is required to be certified because this tracks the separation distance and each year property standards and Fire inspections are necessary.  Lodging houses are not permitted in semis or townhouses and a house with an accessory apartment may not also have a lodging house.

More detailed information can be found in section 5 of the Zoning By-law (1995)-14864,


Whether you’re a seasoned veteran or just starting out, I can help you save time and money with my Real Estate Investors’ Plan

to professionally supervise each step of your Real Estate Investment Purchase.

Get in touch today!  Krys@KrystalMoore.com  519-400-8394

KMoore Fall 2012

**Details in this post were taken from information from www.Guelph.ca and the City of Guelph.

Scroll to Top